Monday, March 4, 2013

Chico State

After driving for 11 hours, I had finally arrived at Chico State University. Unlike most schools, this one took me by surprise. Not the surrounding area, not the people, the coffee shops, or the Greek life. What really stood out to me at first glance was the amazing size of the school. It was astonishingly small. I was given a tour of the campus by a longtime friend whom is a freshman this year at CSU, Chico. We were easily able to walk across the length of the campus three or four times in under an hour. The town of Chico reflects the college both in size and appearance. Chico is a small town and has a younger, livelier crowd, which is not atypical for a college town. As soon as the lights went out, the college came a live. Music out of dorm room windows and people gathering in large crowds before disappearing into the nighttime air. Everyone in Chico is very social and laid back including the teachers. The majority of the teachers are alumni of the school and are familiar with how the school worked then as well as now. I can see myself in this environment for four years. I think there is the pressure of being independent and doing what is necessary to pass your classes but there isn't that pressure that you would find in an ivy league school. So far, out of the five schools I have applied to, this is one of the three that have replied with an acceptance. This is my choice of school so far. I don't know what I will do if San Louis Obispo replies with an acceptance. I hope to keep my options wide open.

1 comment:

  1. First, congratulations on your acceptances already. Second, I went to a smaller school for my undergraduate degree myself and while you give up some things, there are also some real advantages. You'll wind up with a lot more opportunities to be involved in a wider array of activities. I didn't regret it at all. Good luck making your final decision.

    ReplyDelete